Over the years, Indian Premier League (IPL) has arguably emerged as the best T20 tournament in the world. Some of the players participating in this league are closely attached to their franchises and it seems difficult for them to move forward. However, the sun is setting on their careers and some of them may be playing in the IPL for the last time. Here are 5 cricketers who are most likely to bid adieu to the marquee cricket tournament this year!
- MS Dhoni: Yes, you read that right! MS Dhoni may just be playing in his last IPL. Although the World Cup-winning captain desires to retire in front of the home crowd at Chennai, but it looks highly unlikely to see MSD turning up for yet another IPL next year. The wicket-keeper batsman is no longer timing the ball as he used to do in his hay days and the franchise may be keen to look for alternatives, especially if the CSK fails to make it to the finals.
- Harbhajan Singh: The turbanator may not be in action, but there is a huge possibility that one of India’s greatest off spinners has already played for the last time in the first leg of this IPL season. Bhajji doesn’t look menacing anymore and he has also lost the agility that we used to associate with him. Thus, it is no brainer that the likes of Krunal Pandya and Rahul Chahar have already filled the boots of Harbhajan Singh.
- Wriddhiman Saha: One of India’s most reliable wicket-keepers in test match cricket, Wriddhiman Saha used to be a handy player for Punjab in the IPL. However, his form has dipped recently and his glove work alone is not enough to keep him going. Considering the age factor and his natural style of batting favouring the longer format, Saha may hang his boots after the completion of this year’s IPL season.
- Cheteshwar Pujara: Having delivered more than once for the Indian test team in critical matches overseas, Pujara has proved his mettle at the highest level. However, his association with the IPL hasn’t been satisfactory. While he barely gets a chance to bat, whenever he does, Pujara simply doesn’t look comfortable. Considering the age factor, Pujara may not put his name forward for the next year’s auction.
- Chris Gayle: When it comes to the overseas players, Chris Gayle may be one of the cricketers to contemplate about his association with the IPL. The universal boss may not be happy with the treatment he received this year, especially towards the later part of the tournament when he wasn’t trusted with the opening role. Therefore, he may have already played in the IPL for the last time.